CIMA´s fisheries department evaluates fisheries resources, performance of different artisanal fishing techniques, environmental impact, etc.
The following projects were carried out in 2017:
- Preliminary assessment of the environmental impact of fishing for Bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus) by fishing fleet of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands in comparison with other national fleets.
- Experimental fishing campaign for deep-sea crabs along the southern coast of Gran Canaria and biological sampling for further catch management.
- Experimental design and construction of “cazonal” nets.
- Revision of normative aspects regulating the use of “cazonal” nets in Gran Canaria.
- Preliminary investigation of “cazonal” fishing in the north of Lanzarote.
- Impact study of fish traps and corrective technological improvements: “Proyecto Nasa Sostenible”
- European Project ORFISH “Development of innovative, low-impact offshore fishing practices for small-scalevessels in outermost regions”.